Thursday, November 8, 2007

Prison Visit

Sorry for this post being a little late, but it took a little while for the visit to sink in. It was an interesting experience going to the prison. One aspect that really troubled me was the grounds. Outside each of the three housing units where elaborate markers bearing the unit's name such as "Avery". The markers where very beautiful, some made of stone, others involving garden waterfalls. It bothered me because it seemed almost a mockery of what this place really is. They seemed to be a strange "home sweet home" sign for their prison. It made me feel like they where making fun of the prisoners there, that this was their home for the rest of their life. It was very unsettling.
On a lighter note I thought that the door closing in the segregation cell was a little funny to see everyone jump like that. I sure it was intended purely as a joke. However the entire segregation unit was very daunting. Rows of single cells, low lights, spartan atmosphere, and metallic furniture. It felt both like a factory and a prison at the same time. I was very surprised when they told the group that many of the inmates did not take advantage of the offered 45 minutes of time out of their cells, but when I saw where they would go, I would probably stay inside as well. Suffice it so say it was a cage big enough to stand and walk in a small circle and little else.
The corrections officers seemed to be very polite, and at the same time proud of their job. Their was evidence of a family atmosphere in unlikely places such as a notice board with race pools for the officers. All the officers seemed to know the other's name, and I believe I remember a conversation involving a monthly barbecue for the officers. This aspect was not surprising to me. If I where to work in a prison I would probably develop fast relationships with my fellow officers as well to help cope with the stress of working there.
I'm very thankful we had this opportunity and I hope some of the other company members will share their feelings as well.

No comments: