Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Hidden Benefits of Thousand Kites

Veronica Williams here. I just wanted to say how beneficial being on the cast for Thousand Kites has been for me. I have learned so many things, been taught so many lessons, and have made friends while in the process.

Coming to college has been extremely stressful for me personally. For the longest time I had a hard time talking to people because I am so shy. It was also especially hard for me because I had to leave the youth Theatre group I had been with for around 9 years. So naturally, I was worried when I came up here if I would "fit in" with this new theatre group. But I was so relieved. I was welcomed from the day that I stepped into Carol Belk Theatre. I knew that I had not only come to the right school, but picked the right co-curricular activity (and one of my majors as well) when Rachel and Russell-two of the chorus members in the show- how to project my voice properly without screaming. And that's not the only thing I have learned: I learned a new warm-up techinique from another one of the chorus members, a new line memorizing technique from Scott, and of course, about the U.S. prison system. I have also learned about UNCA theatre, it's terminology, and it's way of doing things, which I have a feeling will come in handy as I do more and more plays.

So, in short, I consider myself very lucky to be able to learn about and spread the word about such an important issue, while meeting awesome people within the theatre department. I feel honored to be given the opportunity to be in this play.

1 comment:

Charonbeatle said...

Yeah! I know how you feel there! I felt the same way my freshman year. Glad to know you are fitting in!