Saturday, October 27, 2007

Heard Somebody Call My Name

It's the weekend -- a time when I try to catch up from a busy week (strangely enough, they ask me to teach me classes even when I'm in rehearsal -- the meanies). What I have been finding, however, is that I can't leave the play behind because these darned songs keep sticking in my head!!! The play isn't a musical, but there are three songs in it that the company (and at certain times the audience) sing, and after a few times through they start playing over and over!

Tom Lawton, UNCA's lawyer, has offered to play guitar and banjo for the show, which is really cool. Not only can we ask him legal questions about the show (or, like, "Tom, I don't have a valid will -- how's about we make one during break?" *L*), but it will be great to have someone from the campus working with us. We also have a second musician who has also volunteered, so the two of them can play together, or serve as backup if the other can't be there for some reason.

It was great having the Appalshop people, Nick Szuberla and Dale Mackie, here for a few days to do some filming. They will be back when we travel to Avery-Mitchell prison for a visit by the members of the cast, and then again for the final dress and first performances. During that last trip, they will bring with them a New York cinematographer that they've worked with to get some really good footage. Very exciting. What may result is a 26-minute film to be shopped to regional PBS or community stations, or it may just be a couple 5-minute YouTube videos. Regardless, it has been great getting to know the Appalshop artists, and I hope the relationship will continue in the future.

The show is blocked now, after 6 rehearsals, and the cast is memorized. An impressive group. Nick and Dale wanted to film about 10 -15 mins of the cast sitting in a circle discussing their thoughts about the play and the issues, and an hour later they were still talking and filming. The participants were discussing how the issues related to other classes they've had, personal connections, and all kinds of stuff. I was fascinated and inspired. If anyone needs to see how a play fits into a liberal arts education, all they have to do is watch that video (which I'll have a copy of later).

Well, I think I'll go put on some music and try to get "I Heard Somebody Call My Name" out of my head!

No comments: